Thursday, April 11, 2013

Mom of the Year.

Having not yet been a parent, it is easy for me to see things and assume "I will never be a parent like that." I have these great ideas about not letting my child have a binki past a certain age, and making sure she is potty trained by a certain age, and having her in a cute outfit with her hair done, and never letting her sit in front of the TV for hours on end, and ensuring she learns how to read and enjoys books, and learns how to share, and eats her vegetables, and tries new things, and is friendly, and, and, and, and...

But, let's get real.

I'm going to become Mom, and I'm going to be tired and I'm going to want her to just be quiet for an extended period of time so I can rest my eyes. So, I'm going to put on Dora the Explorer and give her a bottle full of milk and let her spend the entire day in her pajamas.

Pinterest just makes being a Mom seem like such a blast. Crafts, activities, sewing projects, yummy snacks, home made lunches, etc. It all seems like a walk in the park, but Pinterest doesn't tell you about the Moms who have to work 12-hour shifts on their feet. Or the laundry that is stacked miles high because crafting has become first priority. Or the dust on the shelves that has been sitting for months on end. Or the dishes that get a good rinse but haven't gotten around to the scrub.

I just need a good dose of reality. How do I juggle being Mom of the year + Wife of the century + Nurse of the universe + Callie. How do I be 100% in every department because I'm not sure I can settle for much less than that.

9 comments:

Ally said...

I don't personally know you, but I love your blog-- it's so relate-able and real. I have a very hard time writing like that.
I have two girls-- one is three, and one is eight months, but... I don't have the answer to your question.
One thing that really helps is letting go of many expectations. I can't expect to always have a clean house, to always feed my kids healthy food, etc. I try to have one "hell-or-high-water" thing on my to-do list, and just be happy with whatever happens during the rest of the day.
Also, this link is to an incredible post. Being a mom is so much about celebrating the little victories.
http://www.daringyoungmom.com/2012/12/19/drops-of-awesome/
** P.S.-- You will be a great mom. With the things you wrote, you already have a head-start on the right attitude to have!

Callie Ann said...

Ally,

I loooooove getting comments, especially from "strangers". :) Thank you for your kind advice and words of wisdom. I have a feeling I'm going to need LOTS of advice as this baby arrives. ;)

Chloe said...

Once you can understand that being 100% in each department means GIVING 100% and not being PERFECT... then everything just falls into place. Parenthood and marriage are anything but picture perfect Pinterest posts :) But... that'd be boring anyways.

Unknown said...

hmmmm..that's a lot. The only advice I have for you is ...love her to pieces and the best thing you can give her is your time. There will be times you will think you are doing a great job and there will be times you will think you are the worst Mom in the world... Callie you are going to be a wonderful Mom..I promise <3
Love,
Mom

Callie Ann said...

Thanks, Chloe. That's excellent advice. I might need to be reminded of that from time to time. :)

Callie Ann said...

You're so cute, Ma. Thanks for being so supportive and great. Thank goodness I have you to help me, eh? :) I looooove you. Xo

j-mescott said...

I follow your blog all the time. And saw you at work today my husband is in the hospital. Wanted to say hi but didn't want you to think I was crazy. I love reading your blog it's awesome

Jamie

Callie Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Callie Ann said...

You should have said hello! I love making new friends! Thank you for reading!! I hope your husband heals nicely. :)