Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Millie's Birth Story.

My pregnancy with Miss Millie was a doozy.   I was very tired, very ran down and very exhausted.  Maybe because I was older (32) or maybe because I had just delivered twins 14 months prior, or maybe because I was chasing 4 little toddlers around while being pregnant.   Or maybe a combination of all the above.   Whatever the case, it was a tough pregnancy. 

I went to the doctor twice and was absolutely positive I was in labor, only to be sent home for another few weeks of monitoring and pregnancy.    My doctor had scheduled an induction for 38 weeks and I was thrilled.   Counting down the days and minutes until that day.   We had our bags packed, we had arranged for 2 different babysitters to watch our other 4 little munchkins.   Dad had the day off, my mom had the day off and I was ready.

We arrived at the hospital at 9am.   They didn't have me on the schedule.   "Did I have the date wrong?" She asked.  Definitely not.  I have been counting this day down for months.   "Could we have the hospital wrong?"   She called the other hospitals.  Nope.   She called my OB.   He had me on HIS schedule, but forgot to call the hospital.   So, they asked if I could go home and come back an hour later to get things ready for me.   Sure.   I can wait one more hour.

We come back at 10am.  I'm in the system and my paperwork was here.  I got all hooked up to monitors and in my hospital gown. 

The nurse comes in and asked

"So, how are we going to induce you today if you're only 38 weeks?  We can't induce anyone for insurance purposes unless there is a medical reason or you are 39 weeks." 

 I replied "Well, I don't know.  This is just the day the doctor had scheduled." 

She said she would monitor me and the baby for 30 minutes, but if everything looked normal then I would be sent home.

What.
the.
heck.

I was so furious.  So upset.  So heart broken. 
I couldn't go home.  We had everything lined up for today.  My in-laws were in town from St. George.  We had baby sitters.  We took time off work.   I cannot go home.

I called the doctor office and asked to speak to my OB.   He wasn't in.  I was texting all my labor nurse friends asking if they had his cell phone number.  I was leaving messages with the receptionist.  I was frantic and I was NOT leaving.

Suddenly, my OB arrived in my hospital room. 

He said  "You are 39 weeks.  Your delivery date is July 17th.   That's what my records show."   

Hmm, news to me.  But okay, let's do this.
He broke my water, they started an IV and we were cruising toward baby town.

I had two doses of antibiotics because of Group B strep before they would start my pitocin.  Pitocin wasn't started until 2pm, (when I thought I would be hooked up by 10am).   My mom arrived and she hung out with Caden and I all day.  It took me a while to dilate, but I was comfortable and had received my epidural so life was good.

Hazel and Oakley were playing all day with Grandma and Grandpa Hall.  Went to a movie, went swimming and visiting their new baby cousin, Hudson.  They were in heaven and anxious to meet baby sister.  Ava and Ellie were with Aunt Linda and getting in to all sorts of mischief.  No idea that they would be big sisters in just a few short hours.

While we wait for me to dilate, we had a fire alarm go off as well as a news crew touring the hospital.  So many very bizarre things happening this day.   In true Millie fashion, nothing was going according to plan.

Around 5pm, I still had only dilated to about a 7.   Aunt Linda needed to go home and we didn't have a babysitter lined up for the twins.   I called my sister in a panic and she went to sit with the twins.   Grandma and Grandpa Hall came to visit at the hospital with Hazel and Oakley before they were headed off to bed.   My oldest sister and her kids came to visit around that time as well.

Wouldn't you know it--I start to dilate.

I feel lots of pressure and I tell my nurse I think it's go-time.   My in-laws took my girls to grab some McDonald's and said they would come back to meet baby sister.   My oldest sister got to stay in the room while I pushed, as well as Mom and Caden. 


I hired my friend to take my birth story pictures.  I called her to let her know I was ready for her.  She can't find me or my room.   Turns out she went to the wrong hospital.   Luckily, the correct hospital isn't too far away and she arrives just in time.

Another bump in the road--my OB isn't available.  He's at another hospital delivering another baby.  My nurse tells me to hold baby in, but says she has another OB on-call and asks him to come in my room in case I really need to push.  He comes in to hang out and we wait for my OB to arrive.

My OB makes it in time.  We get ready to push.  7 hours after pitocin is started, I push twice and out arrives our beautiful Millie.   Weighing in at 7lb and 12oz and 19inches long.   She has a head full of dark hair and she nurses immediately. 






Millie has been the sweetest little baby ever since she arrived.  She's very calm, very easy going.  She doesn't fuss, doesn't spit up, hardly ever cries.  She nurses like a champion and doesn't let the smothers from big sister bother her a single bit.  She's such a mellow little caboose and such a sweet blessing to our family. 

We love you, Mille Anne.
Welcome to the family.
xo

No comments: