Friday, April 3, 2009

Bible Study. [Novel Alert]

Religion amazes me, always has and always will.
..and I don't want this to offend anyone or don't want to seem anti-Christian or Mormon or Baptist or Catholic or whatever.
I just want to talk about things, because I just don't understand.

Here is some background information.

My parents grew up LDS, both of them. Got married, had me and my sisters, went to church, taught primary. Good ol' fashion Mormons. Well, my Dad got into some drugs and some trouble and was ex-communicated. My parents got divorced and later, my dad passed away and my mom was left with three girls and raising them all alone.

She decided, one day, that she wanted to be sealed to us. If something were to happen to her, she wanted to know that we would be okay and we'd see her again. However, she was told she wouldn't be able to be sealed to her children because our family didn't carry the priesthood.

Ummm...Come again?

...Number 1 thing I don't understand.
I don't believe God would keep me from my mom, just because my Dad wasn't a holder of the priesthood.

So, my Grandpa did work for my Dad and believes he will have the option to accept or reject the work done for him up in heaven.

Well, later down the road my mom re-married Jeff. Neither of them are active in the LDS faith, but both were baptized. If they decided to be sealed in the temple, they would obviously want to be sealed together. I, however, would want to be sealed to my own father and mother, not step-father.

...Number 2 thing I don't understand.
How does temple sealings work for blended families?

Also, more background information.
My sister is a lesbian, and I support her 100%. I know that she was born with this, and it's not some "disease" she caught. I know that she is completely happy with a woman companion and I know that it is as normal as me loving a man. Well, the LDS doesn't accept lesbian marriage, or homosexuality for that matter.

...Number 3 thing I don't understand.
Why can't I be sealed to my sister and her spouse?

And I'm not trying to appear anti-mormon, or dog the religion in any way. Because I really think it does wonderful things, and I know really amazing mormon people. I just don't believe in temple marriage, and a few other things that I don't understand. I think temple marriage does great things for families that have been together and stay together,
...but what about blended families like mine?
...What about families with character and a little bit of odds and ends?
It just doesn't work...and it frustrates me.

And it's not because I want to be married in the temple, because I don't. I don't believe in it and I don't think it is right for me.

It frustrates me because when people ask me if I am getting married in the temple, and I tell them "no", they look at me like I'm a bad person. Like I haven't followed in God's plan, and I have some how fallen off the path.

And I haven't.

I'm not a bad person, and I get along great with God. We are buds. I haven't fallen off the path, I haven't done anything bad and I am not an anti-christ.

So why can't I be apart of a temple marriage? Why can't I go inside to see my best friend
on her special day? Why can't I learn about the things that go on inside a temple?

Why is EVERYTHING so secret?

..and why can't I be apart of it?

6 comments:

Dal & Nicole!!! said...

Hey Cal I totally understand how you feel truely! My family is very blended with odds and ends as well I have step this and halfs that and we are all sealed! This is my oppinion on why just not anyone can enter the temple... I think that if you are not a member of the church and you go into the temple and are a part of the sacred ordinances it would not make any sense to you at all there are certain promises and things that are sacred if you are not a member it would just be weird! You have to have a recommend or it would be just another building that anyone could just go in it would defeat the pupose of what we believe in!I have not always been a member of the church I was convert! To be a member and not have my intire family watch me get married was hard because half of my family is Catholic! But now I know why because I have been through the temple. It is just so hard to explain exactly why! So I hope I helped a little and I hope I didn't say anything offensive! By the way I miss you tons!

Constantine said...

lol I hear you Callie. This kind of skepticism has confused me as well! Someone brought up a good point to me the other day, and it got me thinking. She said, what if your family is sealed together forever, but you don't want to be with your family forever? So basically, your stuck with your family for eternity? Ugh!! lol
A lot of people criticize me because I have some varied beliefs on the LDS church. I kind of feel like people should go to heaven based on the intentions of their hearts, not because they went through a series of ceremonies. I don't know. It's really hard to explain. But if you ever wanna talk, seriously, I kind of like talking about stuff like this.

Brittany said...

Thank you Callie for saying everything I have ever wanted to say. And in such clarity. I was actually thinking about this just a few days ago. My mom and dad got married at a very young age and divorced when I was 11. My dad was military so it was hard to stay with one church. Now my mom is happy with someone else. They are not married and maybe that's because they have both been married before. Dan's family is mormon. His family was active but it has kind of dwindled and his oldest brother went on a mission but Daniel hasn't been to church for years. Same with me. I came to Utah with questions of my religion and I would always reply "I don't know". I don't want this to be misinterpted as I have grown up without faith and my own beliefs. I still know the difference between right and wrong. I will teach my children faith and to choose what they believe in. That is just how I was raised.

Brittany said...

I love how you are true to yourself Callie. Never change for someone. Just be you. YOU are super :)

Anonymous said...

Um you can't be apart of it, and it is all a secret because they all know it's wrong and they all just want to seem so right and high above us.
NO I need to rephrase that. Not all of them... just most of them. I know some really great mormons and have some really great mormon family that aren't all high and mighty but as for the rest of them...
Don't let anyone think you do anything wrong Cal, because you don't. & Cassie doesn't. & when you are in heaven you will be allowed to be with your dad, your mom, Dan, AND Jeff. All 3 of your dads will hang out and say look at what a beautiful kid we raised. & I'll be there too. Saying look how great YOU did with me. :D You can see anyone you want to in heaven as long as they want to see you as well.
& Daddy Kent is totally in heaven. He'd never turn down his fathers work.

Fausett Family said...

I am a little late on this blog but I'll write my comment on it anyway. The Temple ordinances are not so secret. They are actually in the bible. Sorry, I think it is like Genesis or Exodus. The thing that is important with the temple marriage is that it is sealing you and your spouse. So you are bound for eternity. I was really young when my parents were divorced and I didn't understand everything. I had the same questions that you did. I have never heard anywhere that if you aren't sealed to your family that you won't see them. I don't believe that. I know I will. :)