Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sharing is Caring.

Today in class we discussed alcoholism and how it can be hereditary.  As this fellow was presenting it was typical facts and blah, blah, blah.   And then, in his closing remarks, he mentioned that he is an alcoholic and how he lost everything because of his addiction.

All the sudden the presentation wasn't blah, blah, blah anymore.
All eyes were on him and his words were cemented into my brain.

His story really touched me.  He apologized for getting emotional and I wiped away my tears.  It was such an incredible story.  Incredibly sad, but incredibly inspiring that he has turned his life around and now is willing to educate people on this disease.  

So, my question is this: why don't we share these things that are taboo?  Why aren't more people willing to express their hardships and their struggles?  Why do we constantly try to put on a persona that we are perfect and life is lovely?  

I learn so much more from personal stories and I learn even more from those who have hardships.  My heart connects to those who are willing to share and I instantly feel bonded to anyone and everyone that opens up to me and exposes those underwires that no one dares share.  

Share with me.
Care with me.
Promise not to laugh.

No comments: