Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Catchup. Ketchup. Catsup.

Phew.  What a week.  Or month.  Or whatever.


  • I graduated, guys.   I'm an LPN.   I take my test in two weeks and then, 4 days later, I'm eligible to work as a nurse.  Such a strange feeling.    Such a big accomplishment.   Yet, doesn't even seem real.


  • Next week is Christmas.  Where is the snow?  How will Santa make it from the North Pole without any snow? What do I buy for Caden? What is Caden buying for me?  ...and how merry will this Christmas be?  


  • And, last bit of news, my Grandpa passed away last week.   He had Alzheimer's and was headed down hill fast. Never have I ever seen someone pass away as quickly as he did.  We realized his dementia was getting worse about 6 months ago.  He was forgetting simple things and my Grandma was having to help him more and more.  Then, 3 months ago he and my Grandma moved in with my Aunt and Uncle.  What a blessing that was.   About 2 weeks ago he woke up very weak, not able to move or get around as well as he used to.  Then, last week, he passed away.  

    It was sudden and I'm grateful for that.  Although it's horrible to see him pass away and it's awful to let go, it's such a blessing that he didn't have to suffer and deteriorate right before our eyes.  It's such a blessing that he was able to pass quickly and that he left his dignity in tact.

    His funeral was perfect.  We said some funny stories, we reminisced about the good times, we laughed, we cried, and we honored a wonderful man.  He was a Veteran and the way they honored him made my heart fill with pride.  The flags. The salutes. The gun fire.  The trumpet.   The works.   It was absolutely breath taking.  And such a wonderful, incredible ceremony.


  • And, on top of all that, wedding planning.  Everything I do makes me think of the wedding.  Everywhere I look.  Everything I touch.  Everything I smell.  E V E R Y T H I N G.   I go to google something, and end up somehow on a wedding website.  And this wedding is 8 months away.   I'm in for a LONG 8 months if my thoughts are already completely consumed by this whole ordeal.


Phew.  What a strange and odd couple of weeks it's been.
And, unfortunately, I'll be back in school in just 3  weeks for the RN program.


Ugh.   Can we rewind a few weeks?
I'm not ready for the weeks ahead.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. My granddad had alzheimers too, so I can totally relate to the sadness yet blessing it is to not have to see him suffer in such a way that that only disease does. I hope you and your family is comforted this holliday season.

I wrote a short story that got published in webers literary journal about the disease and being a granddaughter. When this isn't so raw id love to send you a copy. It was my way of healing.

But in happier news congrats on graduating and being so close to working as a nurse!!!!!!!!!