Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hospice Nursing.

Today was my first day of Hospice Nursing. 

After my long journey of admiring nurses, being accepted into nursing school, admiring hospice nurses, becoming a nurse myself, and then leaving Intermountain to join a Hospice Team... I'm finally here.   I'm a hospice nurse and I CANNOT believe it.  

I simply can't. 

It's always been a goal of mine to be a hospice nurse.   I don't know what led me to that idea.  I've never done hospice nursing or had any experience with it, however I knew it was something I always wanted to do.  

And I was right. 

After my first official day, I can say that hospice nursing is exactly what I hoped it would be. 

For the first time in two years, I'm excited again about being a nurse.  And that feels really great. 

Hospice is the nurse I want to be.  I want to spend all of my time and attention on one patient at a time.  I want to make my patient comfortable, pain-free and relaxed. I want to talk to my patient about their goals and their hopes for the end of their life. I want to help them transition to that point and be there for them through the process. I want to be a tool for the family as they, too, experience the stages of dying and grief. I want to be the one they call when they need advice or help. I want to know what my patient might like, hate and love. I want to know that patient and be their nurse for the rest of their life

And I get to. 
And that makes my heart SO happy.  

Hospice and me are going to be a really great fit, and I'm really excited I'm finally here.   


1 comment:

Ash. said...

That's so great!! Congratulations!!! Anybody would be lucky to have you as their nurse. Good luck!