Saturday, September 8, 2012

RN - Real. Nurse.

Ohhh, blog. I'm in such a happy place.

Two days ago my manager offered me an RN position on the floor I already work on.   As a real live nurse.

Working on a floor that I already know and already love.
Holy hannah, could I be more lucky? Yes, I can.

Lucky because, this job shouldn't have gone to me. I had some kinks and mistakes I needed to work out through HR. They didn't feel appropriate to hire me without working this things out, and I felt forced to leave a place that I love.

After prayer, talking to Caden, crying my eyes out, and talking to parents, I decided to fight for my life. I wrote a letter and I pleaded my case. I met with the appropriate people and tried my best for the opportunity to work as a nurse and for another chance to redeem myself.

To my surprise, it worked.

They called me in a few days later and told me I had a great case and that I deserved a shot at working as a nurse.

Can I get a halle-lujah?

So, I cried for the hundreth time in the office, told them all "Thank You" for this opportunity and saving grace, and left with the biggest smile on my face. It's not always easy to stand up for yourself. Especially when you know it was something you did wrong. However, I felt like giving it a fighting chance. I needed to try to prove what I was worth and I needed my voice to be heard.

And it was heard loud and clear.

I'm incredibly lucky.
  ...and so grateful.

I'm grateful they saw something in me worth fighting for. The nursing market is full of new grads aching and waiting for positions, and they offered it to me. They gave me a second chance and they are putting their faith in me. And that is such a wonderful feeling.

I can't believe how far I've come. I remember blogging about getting a job as a CNA and how thrilled I was. I remember the day I applied to nursing school, and the day I was accepted. I remember two years of studying, crying, learning, memorizing. And now, it's all come to the ultimate goal.

I'm working as an RN in a hospital.
Eeeek!

The sky is the limit now.
...and I feel incredibly blessed.

2 comments:

LC said...

Go Callie!!! What an incredible experience.. you're a tough girl who deserves the best, keep reaching for the stars!! :)

Unknown said...

You are very blessed and have worked hard for what you have achieved. I was so proud of you for standing up for yourself and for believing in yourself.