Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Swimming in Nursing School.

Nursing school can be described in a simple analogy.
Nursing is like swimming.

At first, I was thrilled about it.  I love swimming.  I got my swimsuit on, I had my sunscreen applied.  I wore my goggles and my floaties Totally ready.

Dipped my little foot in the water.  Cold, but super tempting.  So, I dove in head first.  Splashed around. Got my hair wet.  Loved every single second of it.

After some time, someone turned on the waves.  Things got rocky and unsteady.  But, it was okay.  I know how to swim.  So, I started doggy paddle.   I'm keeping my head above water and I'm doing alright.  Not even worried about it, I'm totally prepared.

But now, I'm tired.  The doggy paddle can only get me so far.  My head is still above water, but from time to time a wave hits me and spins me out of control.  I'm upside down and cricked.  I can't tell which was is up.   I'm spinning in a whirlpool

This week, though,  this Thursday and Friday, someone has thrown me a life vest.  I caught a break.   I'm breathing free.  The waves have settled and I have found my footing.   I'm relaxed.  I'm calm.  I'm catching my breath.  I feel like all is okay again.

Take a breather.
Dry off.
Re-apply the sunscreen.
and dive back in.

This time, with a cannon ball.

3 comments:

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

I absolutely agree I felt just earlier last week that the wind in my sails was gone, that nursing school isn't quite what I expected.

I've decided to rethink this whole thing, and look at it one day at a time. I realign my to-do list daily and am a happier student because of it.

Nik said...

You are so good with writing! Wish I had your talent!

It's just me :) said...

I love this! So true and describes NS perfectly!