Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mormon Message - Meet the Bishop

Bishop text me tonight and wanted to meet with me.

My bishop texts.   That's how great of a guy he is.
He's perfect for me.

I met with him two weeks ago and told him everything.  I told him my entire life story and how I came to be where I am today.  When I set up the interview initially, I was scared out of my mind.   I had heard horrible stories about a bishop interview and dreaded what he wanted to know about me, what I needed to "confess", what questions he would ask, how he would "punish" me, how he would judge me, etc.  I thought of every worst-case-scenario possible and worried and fretted about it up until I was actually in his office.

Once I set down, I immediately felt at ease.  He asked about me, my hobbies, my job, my family, and my testimony.  He wanted to know what brought me back to church after 12 years and where my head was at.  And then he wanted to know about the things I was dreading most: my sins.   He asked for a brief description and I told him, as brief as I possible could.  I didn't have to go into detail and I didn't have to tell any specifics.  I kept it as brief as I possibly could and he accepted that.   We moved past it and went right onto the next topic, piece of cake.  

It felt relieving.  I felt so accepted and safe.  I felt comfortable.  I felt welcomed.  

He told me his story and his testimony of the gospel.  He shared with me how he came to the church and his story of being converted.  He told me about his "non-traditional" family and that he came from a family of step-siblings and step-parents.  He came from a non-perfect past and wasn't a perfect Mormon.   And I loved it.  

It's comforting to me knowing I have a bishop who has been in my shoes.   He knows my struggles and he knows my trials.  He knows how I have felt, how I'm currently feeling, and how I will feel in the future.   I believe my bishop is my bishop for a reason.  God called him to my ward for me, specifically.  

I relate to him and he can relate to me.
...and that is such a comforting feeling.

2 comments:

Paige said...

I am so happy for you Callie! It's a great feeling to get "things" of your chest and to move on. That's one great thing about the church...you can repent and MOVE ON. Love that.

I love that you are doing these "mormon messages". You'll be so happy to be able to look back one day and see your journey. good luck with everything! :)

Callie Ann said...

Thank you, Paige. :) :)