Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mormon Message - Heaven Graduation

You know how when you're in school and sometimes you just don't care about doing the school work?  And you just do half way so you can get by?  And you sleep in, and you don't study, and you never pay attention in class?  And you just pass notes back and forth and worry about seeing you friends and having the best time?   And then, you get your report card and you've got straight C's and you think, "welp, a C is pretty good for the amount of effort I put in.  I feel pretty good about a C.  C is passing, right?!"  

That was my life.

I showed up and I made the best of every day, but I never really put a full 100% effort in being the best that I could be.  I partied and I drank and I thought to myself "This is way fun and I'm still living the dream.   Yeah, I'm going to make it to heaven and yeah, God loves me.   And I'm only doing the bare minimum.  This isn't even hard and it's so dang fun."

But then, all the sudden, a just wasn't cutting it.  I didn't want straight C's on my report card.   I wanted to report back to heaven and show God that I got a 4.0GPA.  I wanted him to be dang proud of what I was doing and the effort I was putting into my school work.   Yeah, sometimes it sucked and sometimes it was a lot more work than I wanted to do.  Sometimes I have to say "no" to the parties and the "fun" things in life, but when I get my report card it's going to show that I put in way more effort and I earned that place in heaven.   And not just any place in heaven, but the very best place in heaven.

I don't want to be just any cap and gown at graduation,
I want the white honor robes and the shiny diploma.
I want the works.
and I'm willing to put in the effort.

3 comments:

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

AMEN Callie, I love your anaology of the C student compared the A student you want to show to God when everything is said and done. Good job on putting in the hard work!

Anonymous said...

This is a WAY sweet way to look at things. Even if you aren't a scholar. I can feel the spirit when you speak about the things of your heart. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Scholar in the church* I SURE know I am NOT ;)