Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Words of Encouragement.

In my church, we believe in a special blessing called a Patriarchal Blessing.  This blessing is from a designated man in the church, a patriarch, and its considered a big deal.   This blessing is supposed to give you some guidance in your life, your opportunities, your temptations and your blessings to come.  It's kind of like a "fortune teller" sort of, but on a more spiritual level.

Caden and I are both working towards getting this blessing.  In order to get it, you must be living right and doing the right kinds of things.  The church asks that you be following certain guidelines and doing the things that are asked of you from the leaders of the church, ie: avoiding alcohol, drugs, pre-marital sex, swearing, going to church, saying your prayers, etc.   

Now, most things are easy for me to follow.  Other things, not so easy.  [No need to get personal and write about where I mess up, because that's awkward for everyone reading and writing and listening and whatever. But I will tell you, I mess up.]  Just as I'm feeling ready and feeling accomplished, just as I'm feeling like I've overcome all my challenges, I mess up.   And this is not something I'm used to.   I don't quit.  I don't fail.  I don't mess up.  Ever.  If I want something, I get it.  I work my butt off, but I always get it.   So this is a struggle, and it's a big one.

Caden has been incredibly supportive, though.  And he's fighting all his challenges like a champion.  He's ready for this blessing and he's doing everything he is supposed to be doing.  And he is loving me all along the way, for my faults and for my mess ups and for the things that I have already overcome.  And I love that about him.

So, this is where you come in, reader.  Tips? Tricks? Words of Encouragement?  Mormon or not-mormon.  Sinner or Saint.  How do you overcome things that are hard?  Where do you find motivation? What inspires you? 

H E L P a girl out.  

5 comments:

LC said...

I waited waaaay too long to get mine. I cherish it. I had a copy made, shrunk it, laminated it, and I keep it in my scriptures. I read it every sunday during sacrament.
Advice: just keep moving forward. The lord doesn't expect perfection. He only expects us to do our best.
Keep a prayer of gratitude in your heart all day, i find that if i'm thanking my heavenly father for everything all day, I have a better attitude and less time to make mistakes.
Good luck girlie!
ps, I absolutely love to read about testimony. :)

Ash. said...

i love that you say "my church." makes me happy!(: i love that you know what you NEED to work on because that in itself is a HUGE thing. and it ROCKS that caden is there to support and lift you up. things happen and people mess up and its just satan's way of bringing you down. as long as you have a goal and you are sticking with it, you will be absolutely GOLDEN!!! libby is right, just pray(: good luck with this, its a big deal!(:

Anonymous said...

Keeping being you.
You're tough, enduring, and bold.
Don't stop any of those things, ever :)

Morgan Greaves said...

One thing that always helps me is to not focus on right vs wrong. I focus on what I can do to have the Holy Ghost with me. I love the knowledge that we can have the Holy Ghost with us as long as we are not offending it. In my mind there is no greater gift than that constant companion. When I am clean I have the ability to receive inspiration and guidance for your own life, inspiration and guidance in ways to help others lives, I know I am protected, I feel better. My life is different when I don't have the Holy Ghost with me. It feels different and I don't like that feeling. So when I am faced with a temptation I really have to stop and think do I want to be cut off from the Holy Ghost. That thought has helped me more than anything!

oops! said...

Just wanted to tell you, you are adorable and doing better than you think! You are just good and we all struggle with trying to be better. A lot of it is habit, and it takes a while to create or change habit! Go Callie!