Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mormon Message - Testimony

I'm not a history buff, nor have I ever been.  
History bores me to tears.  T E A R S.

What happened in the past does not interest me and I don't know how or why it's relevant.  What is important to me is how I'm living my life now.  How does the past affect my current situation.  How do I plan to live from here until forever.   Not the past.   It's boring and it's over.   So, let's move on.

So, when I try to justify my testimony in the church and my beliefs, it's not based on the history of church.  It's not based on the foundation and how the church came to be.   It's based on how the church lives now.   My testimony is based on how the church makes me feel.  My testimony stems from the things I have personally felt and the goals I have set for myself.

I don't know much about Joseph Smith.  I don't know much about how the church was founded and created.  I don't know much about what the church used to believe or the rules and regulations that the previous prophets taught. 

What I do know is what is current: 
  • God answers prayers.  
  • Spending Sundays in church makes me 
    feel better and makes me want to do better.  
  • My church has great guidelines that I, personally, want to live by.

I don't think being Mormon makes me a better person than being Catholic or Muslim or Jehova-Witness or Atheist.  I don't think some are going to hell for not believing what I believe.  I don't believe the everyone must live by the same standards that I live by.   This is solely a personal choice.  Soley based on how it makes me feel.  

I hope, one day, I learn about the history.  I hope to grow my testimony and learn why things make me feel as good and as wonderful as they do.  I hope I continue to grow as a person and I hope I continue to strengthen my testimony in the church

But for now,
if I go to church soley because it makes me feel better and do better, that's a good enough reason for me.

2 comments:

oops! said...

Great Post! I understand! You have hit it on the head, when you say it doesn't make you better than others! Gods Children All!
He loves us equal. I like how it makes me feel too!
xoxo

pam said...

That is the BEST reason in the world to attend church. If something makes you feel good, and makes you want to strive to be a better person, then it has to be good. However...I do not believe we have to go to church to find those things.