Thursday, September 29, 2011

Supporting Me.

It's easy to lose your mind in Nursing School.
It's easy to feel over-whelmed and crazy and depressed.
It's easy to feel like you're never going to survive and
you're never going to make it through.
It's easy to feel inadequate and unprepared and behind.
Natural in Nursing School.

However, I feel calm and collected.
and I can only blame that on my incredible support system.

Before I head off to school, my mom wishes me a good day and tells me that she loves me.  She never forgets to remind me how much I mean to her.   When I return from school, she takes a minute to ask me how my day was.  When I bomb a test, she is the first to consul me and hug away my tears.   And when I do well, she is the first to congratulate me and remind me how smart I am.   My mom is proud of everything that I do, whether it's a C+ or an A+.   My mom acknowledges me for my hard work and she reminds me how far I've come in a world of crazy.   She makes me feel like the smartest, prettiest, greatest girl and for that, I'm forever grateful.

My Caden has been incredibly supportive through this entire thing.   All summer I stressed and worried about how little I'd be able to see Caden.  I worried that he would be fed up with my studying and I worried that he would find someone else to keep him occupied, since my time would be spent studying.   However, to my surprise, Caden has been incredibly supportive and by my side every step of the way.  He has encouraged me to do better and loved my despite my faults.  He has congratulated me for every test score and listened to all my stories about the things that I've learned and the people I've met.   He is patient with me when I have a break down and he listens to me when I cry.   He understands when I have to stay in to finish a late assignment and he always makes sure that I'm doing okay.

My support system is incredible, and I can contribute all of my success to them.  Without them, I would have given up long ago.  Without the encouragement throughout my life and my nursing career, I would have never thought I was good enough.  I would have never thought I was smart enough.  I would have never believed I could.

And each day I'm reminded that I can.  
And that I will.  
And that I am.

And I couldn't thank them enough.

1 comment:

Karin Leslie said...

loved reading this Cal...and don't forget your grandma, she is the role model in nursing for you. Your aunt and sisters are wonderful too...So you see when we are judgmental of others who don't get ahead, maybe they don't have the support system that helps you. Hugs, k