Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Grandpa Carter

You should know:
I find it difficult going to visit my Grandpa Carter.
It may be because he's my dad's dad and that's hard.
It may be because he's real religious and that's hard.
It may be because he's old and old people make me uncomfortable.
Since working at Mountain Ridge,
I've seen the way my residents
light up
when their family comes to visit.
I've seen how happy it makes them.
I've heard them talk about it for days afterwards.
And I've seen the impact it has on their life.
So, today I went to see my Grandpa.
...and it wasn't at all uncomfortable.
It was welcoming. And inviting. And accepting.
And we didn't talk about church.
Also, when I go to visit my Grandpa he always gives me a book.
This time, it's a book about being grateful.
and I L O V E it.

Thanks Grandpa.
Let's do this again, real soon.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before my great grandpa Tryon died...
I went to see him a whole bunch.
It was real great, although sometimes it gave me an ache.
Because he was OBVIOUSLY sick and he wasn't COMPLETELY my grandpa Tryon. He layed in bed ALL day and had to wear briefs. But I am SO glad I did because now I have more memories of napping with him, watching old westerns and new Desperate Housewives, I know more about his past AND I know I was there before he died. I didn't miss a thing and I know he loved me and he loved seeing me. Before he died -- the last two or three weeks of life -- I didn't have a bunch of time to see him. BUT he had a picture of me by his bed so he could still see me everyday and that-- made me light up. It made me KNOW I made a little bit of a difference.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine not seeing my Grandpa :( When I lived in Ogden I went to his house everyday after school.... and I still call him everyday at noon. Haha. I'm glad to see you went to see him... I bet that made his day :) Kudooos.

Anonymous said...

AWWWW...I am sooo happy that you went to see him! He loves you so very much! Even the he is religious he has been through alot in his life..he does preach about church..He does want us to go because that is what he believes..but, I do know he loves you for you!! And I am so glad that you went and spent time with him! Soo good for the both of you! :) Also, should stop reading your blogs at work! Make me cry! (lol) Love Candie

Crystal Valentine Garner said...

Callie, I hope it's ok that I'm commenting on your blog. Just wanted you to know this post got me all misty. I feel the same way: for some of the same reasons, some different, but it's not easy for me either. This post inspired me to make it happen. soon. Thank you!
Love you cous!
Crystal