Friday, August 2, 2013

Three weeks: Wife vs Mom.

It's been three, almost four, weeks since Miss Hazel was born.   It's insane how fast time has gone, and how much I have already forgotten because my memory is terrible and I didn't blog about it. 

Our lives have been forever changing this last year and a half.  I keep thinking that things are going to get a little settled and then a new life event happens.   

Graduation. Babies. Buying a home.   Next up: grandbabies.   ....kidding.

Adjusting to life with a newborn has been a challenge for me.  I'm still learning how to be a Mom, and a wife, and a nurse, and a daughter all at the same time.   I worry that some part of me is going to get lost in the hustle and bustle, and I desperately try to fill each position simultaneously.   Kind of exhausting. 

One night, as we layed in bed, Caden mentioned he wanted to go see a movie. I told him we couldn't see a movie, we had a baby.   He reminded me that we had LOTS of babysitters and he needed some one on one time with me.  

What a wake up call.  

He was absolutely right.  I was a wife before I was a mother and that role is one that I cherish above all others.   He has definitely earned himself a date with his wife.  Plus a hundred more. 

Caden has been incredibly supportive and kind during my post-partum foolishness.   Most days I'm pretty normal and functional, but occasionally I have days that I cry at the drop of a hat.  I cry because I'm tired, or I cry because Hazel pulled a cute face, or I cry any and everytime Caden holds or bonds with Hazel, or I cry because Hazel is crying.   ....and Caden just holds me and tells me it's okay.   

He has been my rock and my saving grace.   It's no wonder that I married that man.  He truly is my sole mate and he just "gets me".  He's helped me transition from Callie to Mom and reminded me that I'm doing a great job when I'm feeling discouraged or run down.  

Every day is a new adventure and each day Hazel changes more and more.The    miracle of life truly is a miracle.  She has been an incredibly blessing to us, she has strengthened our testimony and brought such a cute, innocent spirit with her. 

Three weeks down, so many, many, many more to go.   Just like Brad Paisley sings: "...And I thought I loved her then."







No comments: