Friday, October 7, 2011

Nursing School: Advice.

I've learned some things in school that may or may not be helpful.
Not quite as good as Estelle's Guide to Nursing School, but this is my version.

First and foremost, when someone asks me about Nursing School, my first response is that it's not the material that is hard.  The hard part is time management.  It's not uncommon for an instructor to pile on 56 hours of homework in a 24 hour time frame.  It always seems impossible to accomplish and every single time I think "This time it cannot be done.  This time it's too much asked of me."  But every singe time, I get it finished.

I love to organize and that makes my life much easier and simple.   I have a calendar on the front of my binder that breaks down everything I need to do by the day.   And I look at it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.   

 Then, I have a white board behind my bedroom door that breaks down my week.   Every Sunday I write on my white board to remind myself what I have to do the week to come.  It's conveniently placed behind my bedroom door so I stare at it as I fall asleep.


Finally, on weeks that are particullary busy, I break down my day be the hour.
Sometimes I have to go as far as to budget time to shower and when I will sleep.  Sometimes it gets that out of control.

Being organized saves me a TON of stress.  I function best when I know what's coming and what's ahead of me.   And I've learned that if I have free time, I am forgetting to do something.  Free time is unheard of in Nursing School.

Studying is a matter of trial and error.  I've tried reading the chapters.  I've tried drawing diagrams.  I've tried studying alone.  I've tried studying with groups.  I've tried cramming.  I've tried breaking it up into 3 hours a day.   I've tried almost everything, and you have to find what works best for you.   I never read.  Reading stresses me out.  While reading I always think "I'm never going to remember all of this information," and so I never do remember.   For some people, reading works.  For me, it's a waste of time.    

My method: I like to study alone for a solid 5 hours.  I read my notes and try to come up with silly ways to remember.    Then, I meet with a group and I review the things I've learned.   Group study does wonders for me.  It's a way to learn things from a different perspective and it's a nice support system to have friends who know what you're experiencing.  Two shouts for group studyHOORAY.

Test day morning I like to wake up early and take my time getting ready.  I have found I do best on a test when I feel prettySounds ridiculous, but true.  If my hair is done, my makeup is on and I smell like roses, I usually do well.  I like to take my time in the mornings so I don't feel rushed and add added stress in my life.   And, as we all know, I eat a balanced breakfast ahead of time.  I say a small prayer right before I hit "begin test" and I pray for strength and confidence.  Helps having God on your side, eh?

Class time is important, and I still struggle with this idea.   When I'm in class, I need to remember to be IN CLASS.   No Angry Birds, no Tetris, no Facebook.   Focus.  Listen to what the instructor is saying.  Take notes.  Come up with cheesy ways to remember things.   i.e. Sodium is in the cell. Potassium is out of the cell.   Saying: "SO I'm in.  K+ I'm out."   Helps me remember.    Listen to the comments your instructor makes.  Usually he/she will hint important topics like saying it three or four times.   That's probably important.  Write it down.

Make friends with your classmates.  This is no longer a competition.  We are all in this together.   Encourage each other.  Lean on each other.  Talk to each other.   These are the only people in your life who know E X A C T L Y what you're going through.   They are experiencing the same things you are.  And, you are going to spend more time with these people then you are with your family and friends.   Two years with these folks, get to know them.  Plus, our class has grown accustom to sharing notes and sharing links and sharing diagrams they've created.  We like to share ways to study and it's so helpful.

Speaking of sharing links, FlashCardExchange is incredible.  I love flashcards and this website has made it easy for my class to break up the material and share notecards.  You make some flashcards on this topic, I'll make some flashcards on that topic and then we will share notes.   Saves time and super efficient.

Take time for yourself.  I know it feels impossible.  There are only 24 hours in a day and 23 of it are spent preparing to study, studying, or learning the material to study.   But, the last 1 hour of the day should be spent doing something you enjoy--and sleeping doesn't count.   Force yourself to do something fun and spend some time with something/someone you love.  I try to plan my week so that the weekend is spent with no school involved.  I work Saturday and Sunday, but once I'm off of work, I'm free to relax.  I don't think about school.  I don't look at my homework.  I pretend it doesn't exist Just for those two days.    Some people aren't as lucky as me and some people have to work more hours, but even if it's only for an hour, make time for you.

Nursing school is about jumping through hoops.  Your instructor is going to tell you how to dress, how to act, how to talk.  She's going to ban you from nail polish, crazy hair styles, strong perfume and hair dye.  She's not going to allow for texting, laughing during class, or any sort of fun.   Don't argue.  Don't fight back.  Just go with it.   Laugh about it.  It's ridiculous and it's absurd and it doesn't make any sense, but you're not going to win.  She is.  So, why fight it?

Lastly, be proud of your accomplishments.  It's easy to compare yourself to others.   Be proud of the things that YOU have done.  You made it into Nursing School.  You've been accepted.  You're passing the tests.  You haven't been kicked out of the program.  And, you haven't killed a patient yet.  No matter how awful or terrible you may feel, you're better than the 247 applicants who didn't get accepted.   Be proud of that.  and Be PROUD of you.

And remember, in just two years, you get to add two letters to your name.

"Callie Ann, R. N."


3 comments:

Frazzled-Razzle-RN said...

Thanks Callie, I needed that reminder!

Kristen said...

Thanks for sharing! I just started my nursing school journey three weeks ago, and i'm overwhelmed to say the least! This really helped though and I'm excited to use some of your organizational tips!

Craig and Connie said...

Callie you are so smart! I am in my last semester of nursing school and it has been the toughest 2 years ever but so worth it! You can do it! There is a light at the end of the tunnel for all of your hard work! You will make a fantastic nurse!